Backsplashes are meant to be both functional and decorative. Though certain styles—like white subway tile—have become ubiquitous, backsplashes are actually a great way for Gurnee homeowners to personalize their kitchen or bathroom. The possibilities are practically endless! Today, tiles are available in more colors, patterns, shapes, sizes, and materials than you can even imagine, and by combining them in different ways, you can create truly one-of-a-kind designs. Need some help getting started? Here are a few tips from the Floor Coverings International Libertyville experts.
Why Do I Need a Backsplash?
Here are a few key benefits of a backsplash:
- It helps to protect your walls from moisture damage, dirt, and stains. In a kitchen or bathroom, water, food, oil and other substances can splash against your walls and ruin their look. A backsplash will catch these substances instead, protecting your wall with a tile surface that’s much easier to clean.
- A backsplash adds a stylish and personal touch to your kitchen or bathroom. Whether you add a bright pop of color, a fun pattern, or a unique material, your backsplash is the perfect place to add a bold, one-of-a-kind look.
- Backsplashes may not be essential, but they do add long-term value to your home. Investing in a professionally installed, high-quality tile backsplash will make your space stand out when it comes time to sell. Keep in mind that a luxurious, high-end tile material like glass or natural stone will have the most appeal for potential buyers.
Tips for Choosing Backsplash Tile
- Consider the other elements of your kitchen or bathroom, like the countertops, cabinets, floor, and walls. It’s fun to go for a bold backsplash, but it should still blend with the rest of your space and décor.
- Consider your lifestyle. Do you want a tile that’s luxurious, or low-maintenance? Natural stone adds a high-end look, but may require resealing. Ceramic is affordable and low-maintenance, but may not have the same dramatic appeal.
- Want to add your own creative spin? Don’t be afraid to mix tiles of different materials, sizes, colors, or shapes for a unique look. If you’re on a budget, you could even try using affordable ceramic tiles as a background with a few high-end tiles as accents.
Schedule a free consultation with Floor Coverings International Libertyville, and we’ll help you find the perfect tile backsplash for your home! We serve homeowners in the Libertyville, Gurnee, Mundelein area.
You might also be interested in:
Photo Credit: David Papazian